Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Help Your Pawed One Feel Secure While Traveling.

 

Hi Y’all,

We left you yesterday trying to figure out how to get me out the door with the suitcases before I either drove the Humans insane or died from excitement.  The latter worries my Papa. 

I get so excited he’s afraid I’ll die from heart failure. Whatever that is, it doesn’t sound good.

At first my Human tried to pack suitcases while keeping them hidden behind closed doors.  We dogs have excellent hearing.  Much better hearing than you humans.  Therefore, I knew by the sounds that “things were happening”. 

It just wasn’t practical to try to do everything in the morning when you’re already getting up at 3:30am or 4:00am to get an early start.  So, my Human decided to include me in the packing. I got to sit and supervise and also help pack the car.  Originally, the last suitcase loaded was mine.  Now it is one of the first and seen in the picture above. You can see my suitcase and bowl to the left of my travel crate.  My bumpers and training stuff are in the bag seen on the right.  Here in the picture where I am checking to be sure nothing was forgotten, you can see my bags as well as my travel fan. 

When the car trip begins, my Humans want me to have an opportunity to read my pee mail and get the scent and temperature changes, so we make a number of stops.

when I get to stay in a hotel with the Humans, my rug out of my crate becomes my bed for the stay. 

The first thing I do when we arrive home is check the yard then go inside to to sure that no one has been in our house or, more important, my beds!

Don’t forget to have your pawed one microchipped and be sure to have his rabies tag on his collar.  No matter how reliable your dog’s obedience, keep him/her on a leash at any stops you make.  Another dog, a loud noise, or a myriad of other unexpected sounds or sights can panic the best behaved dog.  Carry a recent copy of shot records in case you need emergency vet treatment or want to leave your friend at a daycare or boarding facility during your trip. 

My Humans always travel with extra water from home.  We can mix it with water from the temporary location so I don’t cut back on my drinking or get a tummy upset.  If you’re used to well water and smell the additives to purify city water, you may not want to drink. 

We also carry my own food.  Even if your friend does not have allergies, it’s a good idea to avoid tummy upsets from food changes.  Besides, it’s less stressful to arrive prepared and not have to try to locate a store where you can purchase the right food.  Some brands offer travel packs or you can use zip lock freezer bags and take some in you luggage if you’re flying.

Make your trip safe and comfortable for everyone.  Y’all come back now.      

12 comments:

  1. Very good advice Hawk. You are smart to make sure your stuff is loaded in the car first! The human's stuff is not nearly as important as yours. :)

    the 2 brown dawgs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good advice for travelin' dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some great tips, Hawk. Thanks for sharin!

    AROOOOF!
    Boondocks & The Love Shack Pack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your Humans have the priorities straight. Of course your bags go in first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of good tips, Hawk, thanks! I adopted my dog Mason three months ago and when I took him into the vet for his first check-up I inquired about microchipping. I was told that the procedure can be painful, which I didn't realize. Now, we're getting ready to go on a long road trip and we'll be camping along the way. I think I should have the procedure done before we leave. I hate to think of him having pain but I think the benefits far outweigh that discomfort.

    -Chandra at Daley's Dog Years

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent advice! And great photos to accompany, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you have a great trip and thanks for the good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many great travel tips - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great suggestions! I met a traveler with one other suggestion that I thought was interesting. She put her license plate number and the make of her car on the back of her dog's tag. That way, if she was hiking someplace away from home, anyone who might find her dog (should he get free) would see her vehicle in the parking lot and know that the dog's owner was right nearby.

    Thanks for all the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are great tips! I never thought about the water one before... Very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! We think we nearly did all the right things on our recent trip to BlogPaws (but no way or how we were sleeping on the floor at the hotel). :) Hope you are having a fun trip!

    Jon Farleigh and Dewi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great advice Hawk! You have some smart humans! :)

    ReplyDelete