Thursday, March 20, 2014

Find Out What Y’all Have Been Barkin’ About!

 

Hi Y’all!

 

P1320705

Last week and early this week were insane!  Nothing but rushes and surprises at every turn and moment!  But, today I’m busy answering your questions, so I’ll safe that story for another post…

P1320673

Last week’s Barks brought this question…

Saved by Dogs said...

“Hawk, are J and mate nesting anywhere near you this year? That's a nice pic of a cardinal too. Really appreciate the shares of life and color :-)”

P1330048

Where we live is a protected area for wildlife.  These geese and a number of others are “locals” and nest here. 

About the following picture I got this remark…

Janet Keefe said...

“You have Northern Cardinals down there too? We have had a pair here all winter. I guess they are very versatile, weather-wise!
Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets”

P1330249

We have Northern Cardinals.  They are especially welcome for their color in the winter.  Most of the eastern U.S. birds pass this way during their migration.

Now regarding the banding, let me post Sand Springs Chesapeakes comment…

JoAnn Stancer said...

“Hawk I just read about using the neck bands in the last edition of Wildfowl mag. They now are wondering if it is worth the volunteers time to do the banding as it seems people are just out to get the banded ones and stalk them to get them. Sad :(. You are handsome as always and can't wait to see your fitness and beautiful post. I just finished mine up”

P1320948

 

My Human read about hunters targeting the orange banded birds because those bands are so easily spotted.  I suppose some hunters like to collect the bands.  It does seem as if killing the banded ones intentionally would skew the record keeping. 

Now, on the the “See Beautiful” post last Saturday…

Roxy the traveling dog said...

“Beautiful flower shots. I'm not sure what the food was, but it looked pretty good”

Amy Boyer said...

“Is that shrimp-n-grits? My hubby loves them! You live in a beautiful place, must be south of us. Here in VA we have daffodils but the azaleas are just not quite in bloom yet.”

P1330197

Most of y’all who commented recognized one of my Human’s favorite breakfasts…or lunch, or supper…Shrimp and grits!  Some of y’all may never have tasted them. The egg on top is because this is breakfast.

If my Human is makin’ them for breakfast, she gets up super early to put the grits on the stove to cook for hours before eating.  She buys the grits from a local grain mill.

The other questions was…

Molly The Wally said...

“Spring has sprung Hawk? Have a fabulous Friday.


Best wishes Molly

P1330305

Spring is tryin’ to spring, but Mother Nature keeps throwin’ a curve ball.  The ice storm really nipped some of the buds. 

P1330483

 

Now let me resolve all the befuddlement on Sepia Saturday…

P1330482

 

It started on Friday when I said “stay tuned for what I retrieved”…Then on Sepia Saturday I posted…

P1330544

And y’all had this to say…

Molly The Wally said...

“What is that Hawk? Is it a shoe?
Have a super Saturday.
Best wishes Molly”

Laika said...

“What is that Hawk? Is it a decoy duck. It do taste a little bit like duck I think”

Susan Willett said...

“What did you retrieve, Hawk? It looks like a duck, and you look awfully proud!
--Woofs (and purrs) from
Life with Dogs and Cats

Janet Keefe said...

“GREAT close up photo....it is so clear!
I don't know what you have in your mouth though, I thought it was a fish at first, and maybe that was what you retrieved yesterday! :)
Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets”

Jenna,Mark Drady said...

“Decoy? Practicing in sepia? Haha!
Always love your beautiful close up shots!!Have a great sepia Saturday!
ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Jans Funny Farm said...

“Hi, Hawk. You look good in sepia. Is that a shoe you're chewing on?”

Ruckus Eskie said...

“Whoa that's a nice close up. You rock the Sepia as always. Although I am still trying to figure out what you're holding in your mouth! Thanks for linking up!”

P1330372

P1330380

P1330384

Sand Springs Chesapeakes exclaimed…

JoAnn Stancer said...

“Beautiful photo, you got to play with your dokken, whoo hoo”

A quick bit of history regarding the term dokken…Dokken is actually the name of the man who invented the training dummy, Tom Dokken.

Dummies come in the size and shape of smaller birds, like our surviving duck, or larger birds such as geese.

P1330472

Dummies are used to get a dog used to the size and weight of the birds they will be retrieving.  Scent is put on them to get the dog used to the smell.  If my Humans still went hunting with me the dummies would be fired from a dummy launcher to simulate the actual flying duck.  My Human probably would use a starters pistol to simulate shooting the duck.

P1330406

After retrieving bumpers I get to retrieve the dokken as my reward!  I love retrieving it! 

Now to black and white Sunday’s post “Crow”…

Molly The Wally said...

“Wonder what he was up to Hawk?
Have a serene Sunday and let us all get on some big easy today.
Best wishes Molly”

Sam said...

“Either an egg or a golf ball? I like crows! We have more of their annoying little cousins down here - grackles..”

Amy Boyer said...

“What in the world is he carrying? Looks like a ping pong ball...Actually I like crows because they are so intelligent. It always seems like they are up to something!”

Oz theTerrier said...

“Happy Sunday, Hawk! Sorry I haven't been around in a while...it's been crazy-busy around here. What is that crow up to? Is that a golf ball in its mouth?!? BOL
Oz”

Dolly theDoxie said...

“Did he steal your ball? I would have chased him right out of there! Love Dolly”

M. K. Clinton said...

“Did you chase that crow? We have a bunch of robins in our yard this time of year. Pierre our Westie granddog is certain that he can catch one. They don't steal golf balls though! Bark More, Growl Less Barking from the Bayou!

Janet Keefe said...

“Is that an egg in his mouth?
I can't wait to hear about your mischief!
Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets”

Jenna,Mark Drady said...

“Hey Hawk, what the heck is in that things mouth??
Can't wait to see what mischief you got into now!!!
And thanks SO much for voting for my husky Lexus!!! We need all the support we can get! If you get a chance to come back and vote again , that would be great, i'll leave you the link if you can. Thanks!!
ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

“Oh My! Is that an EGG? Interesting. Happy Black n White Sunday. Golden Woofs”

 

P1330290

Crows are smart but they are also evil nest robbers.  They eat the eggs…

P1330291

About my Mischief Monday…

Amy Boyer said...

“My goodness that looks like good fun and good exercise! Messing up a little just means you get to do it again, right?”

Tenacious Little Terrier said...

“The long way (of doing things) is more scenic and fun right?”

P1330177

Y’all are right on both counts!

Finally, regarding yesterday’s squirrel encounter…

Tenacious Little Terrier said...

“Did you try to catch the thief?”

LetterstoAndrew said...

“You better run squirrel! What was he eating? It was hard to tell if it was seeds or a stalk of wheat type grass”

P1320639

The squirrel is eating melon seeds which the birds adore.

P1330199

BOL! I didn’t chase him!  My Human Papa clapped his hands to chase him off the feeder.  Papa was sitting on the porch. 

Squirrels are all over the place the last couple of years.  Once they are plentiful the hawks return to hunting this area and the squirrels disappear. 

P1330553

 

P1330574

 Y’all hurry back now!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Great catch up Hawk and we have never heard of a Dokken before. That was a mean egg stealing crow for sure. Happy first day of Spring and have a tremendous Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly
    PS don't forget to let us know about Share It Sunday one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried shrimp and grits before, but it looks delicious! My husband a huge fan of grits, so maybe we'll need to recreate it here for ourselves one day.

    Crow may be egg theives, but there are still deficiencies in their intelligence - I've seen them steal golf balls on the course by mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a beautiful full follow up. You have so much going on, keeps us young (at least I think so). You have a award waiting for you on my blog today. Bringing a little sunshine into peoples lives. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good night Irene, Hawk! You've covered a lot today! I love the geese. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE grits! Had some with eggs just yesterday. And plenty of salt. Why do grits seem to need so much salt?
    www.dogtreatweb.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hawk, I love when you answer all our silly questions! I missed a lot this past week or so, so this post really got me all caught up! I hope you are having a blast and that the weather is warming up.
    *high paw*
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your answers Hawk!! Good to get things cleared up BOL Have yourself a good afternoon.
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great recap Hawk and thanks for clearing up what the squirrel was eating. So the hawks will come down and gobble up squirrels?

    Thanks for joining the blog hop! Happy Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Hawk, I think you answered all of our questions! Now, I had never heard of a Dokken or who it was named after, except there used to be a rock band called Dokken. I wonder if that was where their name came from too? I might have to look that up! :)
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the great follow up and for joining the Barks and Bytes hop. About the banding, I always thought the whole point was to see where the bird started out and maybe how long it lived after it was taken by a hunter. I think here they actually use hunter license fees for some of the programs. I can see the issue with the large neck bands, but I doubt hubby could be selective enough to take a banded bird over an unbanded bird. (He is a good shot, but not that great...lol)

    We switch off between bumpers and dokkens when we train. I think with more park training it will be using dokkens rather than frozen ducks. Hubby got a new gadget for our winger this year...a remoter control launcher. Every year he talks me into something new...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eww shrimp and grits...EWWW!!!
    What does shrimp and grits taste like??? Eww....
    Anyway I love the photo of the cardinal and the flower. Those are my favorite pics in this post!
    Have a good day with your shrimp and grits......ew..MOL
    ❀Siamese Smothers❀Happiness is Siamese!

    ReplyDelete